Well its been exactly 1 year since the first B4RN meeting for the Mint & Sprint in my kitchen here in Selside and a lot has happened in that time.
I think, we, as a community are doing quite well and its down to the efforts of us all, but more importantly our contractors who have been grafting hard in the fields ploughing through all weather and terrain.
Since the 9th May 2018…
- 4 community start up meetings
- 80% sign up
- over £500,000 raised in shares (either direct with B4RN or in the Holding Pen)
- 1 cabinet (of 2) landed
- Longsleddale – complete and live with 100% of residents connected.
- Selside – 70% complete and live
- 5 out of 15 routes now with live fibre and spliced into the cabinets.
- 1 school about to go live early next week
- 90% of all way leaves gained for the whole network
- Website built ground up for the project with social media links and e-mail campaigns
- GPS navigation soft-wear designed ground up to navigate, photo graph and record our network build and feed back to B4RN.
- over 30 office open evenings for help and advice
- and more…
We have reports of 970mbps up Longsleddale, light years away from the previous unreliable less than 2mbps!
Again, a thanks to all the area champions who have taken the time to learn all about it and helping others practically and verbally, the Landowners for working closely with TS Trenching when they approach their land with the machinery and to all those who have invested in B4RN for our build area.
A common questions is “when is the route my property is on going to be built?” The answer is “when you have worked your bit out, dug, drilled and fitted the property boxes and filled out the GBVS form”. Professional help is available for those who are not undertaking things on a DIY basis. All being well the whole network will be complete in May 2020.
Telephoning through B4RN
Say good bye to your BT contract and keep your phone number.
Click here for more information on VoiP calling. Circle Loop is proving to be a popular choice for your new provider. They offer a free trial, are UK based and we can get 20% off for the life of your contract. You can keep your old number too.
Finish planning and get digging and drilling. Offices open every Wednesday evening. Link – Directions to Office
The Dug and Live List
SEHE – Selside Head End went live on 7th Dec
SE6 – live to Kiln Croft 7th Dec
SE1 – live to High Above Park 19th Dec
SE2 – Longsleddale West live 14th Jan, East live 28th Feb Route Complete
SE3 – Fibre Splicing and Router fitting 13th May
SE3 to GR2 Link – The Mint is Drilled and fibre is on the way to Grayrigg.
SE1 – to Dry Howe Dug and ready for fibre
SE1 – Watchgate to link up and then along to Low Bridge House.
NH4 – Docker are ready for the Contractors.
SE5 – is getting closer and will be the next line to dig on. There is some steep ground we need to dry out to be able to get down to the river. The Meal Bank Industrial estate bridge is now out of action so we can not complete the works in the road until that is fixed.
GRHE – is in the final planning stage. A cabinet will be installed ASAP. It will take 2-3 months to get the electric live upon completion of the cabinet base as this needs to come of the electric pole close by. The build time is only a weeks work upon obtaining final permissions and quotes for the work and plans are complete.
SE6 – have started to dig and drill
You – when you get your property ready. You dig to B4RN.
Connects 8 Ltd
The B4MS project is overseen by a small group of volunteers, who are responsible for delivering the project with the support of B4RN. Activities undertaken by volunteers include: raising awareness of the project by delivering leaflets and arranging meetings; discussing way leaves with landowners; collecting and managing data about households who wish to sign-up to B4RN and arranging local meetings, events and drop-in sessions. Project volunteers are also trained to help local householders physically connect to the network by offering advice or assistance to dig in the ducting and connect the required equipment to the premises. The project team is also responsible for the day-to-day running of the construction phase of the main network.
For those that attended the parish meetings you may remember the need for the Mint & Sprint to have an internal budget for delivering the project. This is completely separate to the investments needed to build the core network and will be used to provide essential equipment such as tools to help householders with their home connections, a computer to keep track of the project, stationery and printing, and resources to enable us to hold drop-in sessions and other project-related events – among other things. The funding for this will be generated through donations from individuals, businesses and Parish Councils. If you can help with a donation, we would be extremely grateful.
We have a formal way of holding these funds.
Limited Company name: Connects 8 Ltd
Sort Code: 16 52 21
Address for Cheques: Goodhamscales, Selside, Kendal, LA8 9DS
Tools to lend
With the Connect 8 Ltd funds we have managed to purchase a powerful SDS drill, drill bits and various other useful tools to help you with your own DIY connections. Drop Dan Robinson an e-mail if you would like to use these for a day or two to get yours done DIY style.
Updates via e-mail are only very occasional, Please see the News page of the B4MS website for all updates and news items.
Voluntary Project Manager
Steps to getting B4RN at your property in the Mint and Sprint.
2. drill and fit property boxes (or employ a contractor)
3. dig to boundary (or employ a contractor)
4. fill out GBVS form on B4MS website
5. wait for the core
6. allow access for property fibre once you are attached to a chamber with duct
7. fill out B4RN contract
8. allow access for B4RN to splice your FTU (and fit router if your taking service)
9. enjoy the fast and reliable internet
10. change over to VOiP for your phone line and save money – look into circle loop. https://b4mintsprint.wordpress.com/telephone-calling-via-b4rn/
11. Once you move your current phone number to your new service that will cancel your current contract with BT for your phone line, so don’t cancel it yourself or you may lose your number. However – check its all wrapped up and your not paying 2 bills once your new system is working.
- Look at the B4MS website in detail
- Come down to the B4MS office on a Wednesday night for help
- If DIY then materials available at the office on Wednesday nights
- If contractors are to complete your work then they will have materials
Below is our network since we began build on the 4th September.
Click here for our As Built web App